Thoughts on local wind measurement
It is often nice to know just how strong the winds really are. The Windy.com site provides real-time wind measurements with a slight delay (typically about 20 min). I've been reviewing the various measurements this morning and see that the numbers vary a lot. Having done work analyzing wind measurements in my professional career, I'm painfully aware of how difficult it is to get a good measurement that is unaffected by trees, structures, hills, etc. This is particularly a problem in our area because most of wind sites are on the west side of the Berkeley Hills. These sensors will read much lower than the ridgeline or the east side of the hills during NE winds like we have today. That said even sensors on the ridgeline and eastern slopes can be affected by local obstructions. The best way to sort this out would be to drive around to the various sites and see how obstructed they are. I will do that eventually but until then one site that looks reasonable for NE winds is Fay Hill in Lafayette, https://www.windy.com/station/madis-PG670?namConus,38.233,-122.662,11
Cort
Comments
Post a Comment